Nov 21, 2018
During this installment of The Confident Advisor Practice from
the Horizon Advisor Network, hosts Pete Bush and Bill Bush, CEO and
Advisors at the Horizon Financial Group, sit with Brett Harrison,
CEO of Cetera Advisors. They discuss managing your financial
advising business through the future and industry shifts.
- 00:47---Introduction of guest Brett Harrison, CEO of
- 1:52--- Advisors don´t run on natural performance anymore they
run off of emotional and logical desires of clients.
- 2:18--- Financial planning can be more emotional.
- 3:14--- Cetera has developed a tool to successfully do
financial planning. Advisors need this tool too.
- 4:00--- Connecting on a human level is necessary in financial
- 5:40--- To help the next gen investor, financial advisors need
to upgrade the technology of the practice.
- 7:00--- We need an online platform that clients can reference
when they are up at night.
- 8:00--- The next generation of professionals need to know how
to run businesses and pay their own taxes.
- 8:20--- Focusing on female advisors. There is a huge gender gap
in the advising industry.
- 10:00--- There is a disconnect between the old and the
- 13:30--- Partnership between Cetera and Genstar
- 14:06--- Exposure to executive management and board is a
critical dynamic for change in the industry.
- 14:33--- Breaking into growth strategies within the financial
- 16:30--- The new industry shifting question: who can you choose
to partner and align with in the industry?
3 Key Points:
- The financial advising industry cannot rely solely on natural
movement of markets. As it depends on client's emotions, the
present day advisor must connect on a human level. It can't be all
- The incoming flow of Next Gen investors are pushing the
industry to update their technologies. This will be a different age
of clients where they aren't interested in managing a life outside
of the office--ie paying their own taxes, working abroad. Financial
advisors need to factor these life changes into their
- There is an ever present age and gender gap between advisors
and clients. Advisors need to stay up to date with trends and
connect them to their clients.
- “It is about connecting
with the person. It is not all about the spreadsheets” –Pete.
- “The financial well-being
of a household is second ot health.” – Brett.
- “Health and wealth are
- “To help with the Next Gen
investor, we need to upgrade ourselves in regards to our
interaction with technology.” –Brett.